Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
This role will provide operational guidance in managing safety and security related risks throughout Plan International Ethiopia (PIE) staff and resources. This will include planning, safety and security assessments, and development of procedures, capacity building and training, as well as both introducing and maintaining sound safety and security management structures within the organisation.
Dimensions of the Role
The Safety and Security Manager will be responsible for the overall management and oversight of safety and security activities for the country operation. This position is responsible to develop safety and security management plan; conduct safety and security risk assessment for the country office and program areas; development of standard operating procedures and contingency plans; provide travel advice and clearance for staff; provide safety and security briefing to visitors; facilitate or conduct training and capacity building initiatives to staff members.
The position holder will work with the Regional Safety and security Advisor for technical input and advises.
- Safety and Security Management and Coordination
- Evaluate, develop, review and update the safety and security management procedures and contingency plans on a regular basis in compliance with global and local requirements of Plan International based on security risk assessment results
- Plan and implement mitigation strategies (acceptance, protection, deterrence) in order to improve safety and security within the organization;
- Ensure that all staff and visitors receive relevant policies and procedures in advance, appropriate briefings on arrival, and as required if circumstances change.
- Ensure that all offices and vehicles are adequately equipped with safety and security equipment.
- Prepare and follow up security management budget allocation and utilization status inline donor rules and regulations
- Provide technical support to management and staff members of the country program on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for safety and security of staff and resources for operational and program continuity
- Work closely with the Country Leadership Team to determine appropriate solutions to incidents, evacuation, relocation, hibernation etc.
- Provide Country Leadership Team with strategic advice based on changes to the context
- Ensure all staff, mainly Country Leadership Team are fully aware of security context of the country and all operational areas.
- Act as an adviser to Head of Logistics and Admin Department and the management during a crisis and take lead as and when delegated
- Context Understanding Monitoring and Reporting
- Compile and submit regular reports that track incidents and trends in humanitarian access and local contexts within the PIE’s area of operation.
- Provide credible information and contextual understanding of localized and country-wide safety and security situations and incidents along with appropriate advice to PIE staff and management
- Ensure all field offices are compliance with PIE Safety and Security Policies and Procedures by carrying out periodic audits
- Carry out daily and weekly situational analysis and provide strategic advice to Country Director and Country Leadership Team accordingly
- Training and Capacity Building
- Work closely with Head of Logistics and Admin & Regional Safety and security Advisor to identify learning and development needs in the country program in the area of assignment
- Provide regular trainings for PIE staff on humanitarian principles of safety and security and preparedness.
- Program Development:
- Participate in program design. Advise program and field management teams on context-specific risks pertaining humanitarian access, ensuring safety and security to staff and resources and contribute to the development and implementation of mitigation measures and plans.
- Networking and Liaison:
- Maintain a database of contacts at national level and field level that could be useful during negotiations and crises situations.
- Maintain a network of PIE safety and security focal points in the country program as well as external professional contacts and counterparts
- Identify, create and maintain a network with NGO/UN and other humanitarian actors to maintain timely and relevant information
- Emergency Preparedness and Response:
- Contribute to the development of country emergency preparedness plans
- Contribute to the development of operational and programmatic contingency plans that respond to different emergency scenarios
- Conduct prior assessment for operational feasibility and accessibility of emergency response of the country program
- Staff management for the section
- Safety and security team human resource planning - Recruit, grow and retain staff.
- Performance Management - Manage, motivate, develop and oversee the performance of staff in line the organization’s systems, rules and regulations for HR management including staff evaluation, training and career planning.
- Develop work plans for security guards team.
- Monitor safety and security and security guards performance and take actions when needed so that objectives are met (either continuously or on time when relevant),
- Creating a positive working environment in which continuous improvement, service- mindedness, transparency and open communications are key values.
- Supervise and manage performance of security guards including, coaching, mentoring and capacity building.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Any other duties as directed by the Head of Logistics and Admin Department.
Represent Plan on areas of safety and security management issues in country. Liaison with other NGOs, INGOs, timely and relevant information as well as establishing and maintaining strong professional networks. Provides safety and security briefing to visitor from different National Offices, Donors and other PIE Stakeholders as well as provide technical advisory to Country Leadership Team.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- Comfortable working at tactical, operational and supervisory levels
- Commitment to Plan Values and Behaviours, Gender diversity knowledge and experience, Child protection—knowledge of global trends in child protection, Promotes a culture and working environment aligned to plans values and behaviours including anti bullying and harassment
- Ability to work under pressure, Able to work in a team and independently, Works well with others
- Planning and organisation skills on short and long time frames, Decision making, Analytical skills
- Solutions orientated focused on programme outcomes, Budget skills including effective use of resources, Decision making, Experience in preparing and submitting business cases, Influencing skills, Attention to detail
- Problem solver—able to think out of the box, Analytical skills, Able to keep the big picture in mind and work in detail, Budget skills including effective use of resources
- Budget skills including effective use of resources, Able to keep the big picture in mind and work in detail, Negotiation skills, and Influencing skills.
- Able to set own and department objectives, Able to give clear direction, Able to manage competing priorities, Strong technical skills in supply chain, Able to keep the big picture in mind and work in detail, Solutions orientated focused on programme outcomes, Works in an open and accountable way and cultural sensitivity
- Ability to manage and resolve conflict, Situational leadership skills including being able to lead by example, Cultural sensitivity, Listening skills, Communication skills,
- Comfortable facilitating trainings, meetings and bringing people together
- Fluency in English Language
Essential – Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Safety and security Management or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, 2years of which must be with humanitarian or developmental NGOs.
- Trained on safety and security management
- Desirable—knowledge of local language in addition to Amharic
- Desirable— 3rd grade driving licence
- Knowledge of the humanitarian sector trends and constraints would be an advantage
Based in Addis Ababa with frequent travel to Program Areas on need basis.