Job Title: WASH Officer
Location: Dimmtu, OR, ET
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
The position holder is primarily responsible to lead and implement the WASH program and Ethipad project found at Oromia regional state at Dimitu woreda and to insure the linkage to the Country WASH Program at the program area level. The post holder is responsible for the delivery of results in line with pre-agreed project plans and objectives and operate Project implementation at all stages throughout the project cycle. Given that a significant amount of the project thematic activities are done in partnership with key government sector offices, s/he will have also a key aspect of the role is nurturing, developing and facilitating the achievement of results.
He/she is expected to proactively engage in documenting lessons and practices with the aim to for policy influencing and ensure benefit of girls, women’s and LSP associations and also build institutional capacity of Plan and its partners to effectively respond to WASH related needs in general and Reusable sanitary pads production and access for girls and women’s; with the overall objective of improving MHM practices and expanding access to local reusable sanitary pads for girls and women’s at the target woredas.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
Financial measures or statistics relevant to post such as budget; list of direct and indirect reports
- The post holder will report to the Jimma Program Area Manager Oromia PA, and technical report line Project Manager/Health Coordinator at the country office.
- The post holder will have overall responsibility for the planning, management, operation, coordination and regular monitoring of the project to ensure smooth and fast implementation of the MHM and Hygiene project activities including redesigning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and the post holder will manage/provide technical support for approximately 3 million Birr of annual budget, and provide budget oversight for field based projects except for individual grant project budgets with own project managers.
- The post holder is responsible for project design, Planning, Implementation, Construction Supervision and Contract Administration, monitoring, working with community and local government, and reporting while ensuring quality Project delivery to the overall WASH program and Infrastructure activities.
- Facilitate, lead and insure Ethipad project construction projects bid process until contract agreement signing
- The post holder will manage Ethipad project and supervises/provide technical support and guidance for field based project coordinator/managers based at the Program area level.
- The post holder is responsible to manage program design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of Ethipad projects and all WASH programs.
- She/he ensures smooth teamwork within and across the program area/working team at the country office while enhancing integration among other programs. Key components of the position include operationalization of the WASH program, advocacy and networking, developing and strengthening partnerships, resource mobilisation and team management at Ethipad project.
- Responsible for compliance to organizational and statutory policies and laws on People and Culture legality matters and also has responsibility to support in ensuring compliances.
- Key components of the position also include working with other regional actors, (like NGOs, UN Agencies, etc) regional advocacy and networking, project level thematic area planning, developing and strengthening partnerships and mainstreaming of child centred and women focus community development.
- The position will be based at Oromia PA, Jimma Sub Office at Dimitu woreda
- The period of the position holder is for one year subject to probation period performance (Nov 1/2020 to Oct 31/2021)
- Develop program funding portfolio through conducting rapid needs assessments, writing concept notes and proposals, undertaking technical feasibility studies, preparation of designs and bills of quantities, preparation of tender documents and generally supporting the development and implementation of Water and Sanitation systems and MHM based on Plans’ corporate procedures to enhance resource mobilization efforts to reach more children and communities.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor project implementation processes, coordinate evaluations, share learning’s and document best practices.
- Prepare quality and timely preparation of different monthly, Quarterly semi-annually and annual progress reports including case studies and lessons learnt and preparation & documentation of quality case study on best practice.
- Responsible for the coordination of sanitation and hygiene promotion activities and budget at the ETHIPAD project target districts. She/he will be a budget holder of the project for the program areas
- Given that a significant amount of the work is done through coordination and collaboration, a key aspect of the role is promotion, developing and facilitating the achievement of the results through government woreda WASH sectors, WOCA, LSP associations, VSLA and community groups & members.
- Facilitate the development of Ethipad work plan based on the project document, in consultation with relevant Plan staff and appropriate woreda stakeholders including WOCA.
- Conduct sensitization of the project objectives and results to the woreda concerned government sectors, kebele & community leaders, beneficiaries and other relevant stakeholders.
- Carry out the design, detail plan and construction/rehabilitation of MHM rooms in consultation with relevant Plan staff, appropriate Woreda stakeholders and the target school community.
- Preparing Ethipad project tendering documents and closely supervises any project implementation implemented by contractors.
- Facilitate the selection, design and implementation of the most appropriate sanitation facilities in consultation with the Woreda health, water, education offices, institutions and target community with child and people with disability friendly service.
- Facilitate effective Menstrual Hygiene promotion messages and activities that address key behavioural practices and are targeted for all user groups, representatives from these groups participate in planning, training, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Conduct frequent monitoring of project implementation at the specific project target areas.
- Ensure timely implementation of project M&E activities including regular review meeting, midterm review, and final evaluation in close collaboration with the PA M&E team.
- Ensure the establishment and training of VSLAs and caretakers in collaboration with the woreda Women’s and children offices, education and health offices.
- Equip the capacity of the VSLA and LSP through providing different necessary materials, supportive follow up and on job refresher training.
- Work closely with Country office and program area relevant technical WASH staffs, the project staff particularly with the Ethipad Project Manager, logistic, finance and HR.
- Take special responsibility to facilitate participation of women, children and community at every steps of the project design/planning, implementation and monitoring cycle.
- Ensure the mainstreaming of youth girls, children and people with disability needs in all the Ethipad services.
- Ensure quality and timely reporting and documenting of project activity including preparation of monthly, quarterly, biannually and yearly project progress report and updates of the project status.
- Under the support of the Country office and Program Area (PA) produce Biannual and annual reports of the project based on the template which FLNO will share to us.
- Ensure quality program delivery at all levels of the project cycle management in line with the child centred community development approach.
- Close monitoring and follow up for smooth and on time project implementation.
- Prepare and develop in consultation with appropriate stakeholder’s monthly, annual and multi-year project plan.
- Record and share good practices and case stories achievements of the project
- Ensure effective and efficient management of financial resources, including review and check project budgets, monitoring expenditures, and implementing cost control measures.
- Ensure M&E and learning in close collaboration with the M&E team.
- Ensure quality and timely reporting and documenting of project activities including preparation of quarterly/yearly project progress reports.
- Manage and organize trainings, workshops and meetings that concerns the project at all levels and participate when relevant.
- Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the region that has relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of regional government policies, strategies and plans with respect to water sanitation and hygiene
- Ensuring mainstreaming of cross cutting issues mainly gender, environment, HIV&AIDS and disability in responses and also adoption of important approaches from PIE’s pertinent initiatives notably CLTS
- Shall perform other duties as assigned by her/his line manager, WASH Program Lead and leaders or members of other teams/programs, managers, etc
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Assist and support communication department in developing communication materials through adopting and contextualizing it and disseminate to identified target audiences, organizations, media, etc., support the department in translating materials into local languages as necessary.
- Promote a collaborative, team environment amongst project/program team.
- Inform line manager and then to the donor of any issues or proposed resource changes (financial or human) that may require technical assistance or donor approval in a timely fashion.
- Oversee outreach activities at program areas to support and raise awareness about the purpose of the project and any related opportunities.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Educational Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Degree in environmental health, public health, Water Resources Engineering and related fields from recognized university with at least 4 years relevant experience in Menstrual hygiene management and sanitation development and Hygiene, construction supervision and Contract Administration out of which a minimum of 2 years’ direct experience in menstrual hygiene related WASH response project in an NGO..
- Demonstrated experience in key programmatic areas and in the management (feasibility study, design, construction supervision, contract administration etc.) of water supply and sanitation projects and infrastructures and management of MHM related projects.
- Experience in CLTSH, community mobilization and organization skill
- Experience in preparation of Bill of Quantities and specifications, bid document preparation and evaluation, contract document preparation, negotiation management, as well as supervision and administration of projects.
- A commitment to, and understanding of, participatory approaches to development.
- Experience in project study, design bid preparation evaluation and construction contract administration is advantageous.
- Knowledge of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
- Construction – including supervision of a wide variety of water-supply projects such as spring, hand dug, shallow well and deep well development and rehabilitation and construction of MHM rooms.
- Experience in projects related to production of reusable sanitary pads.
- Awareness of environmental health issues with special attention to the needs of women and children.
- Experience of managing WASH and MHM programme implementation and working in partnership.
- Ability to deliver quality programs in a short time and work under stressful conditions.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Understanding of integrated development issues
- Knowledge of participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and Research systems and processes
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills in English and Amharic and Oromiffa.
Skills Specific to the Post
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues
- Understands budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Creates highly motivated team of unified purpose
- Able to perform under stress, innovative, build relationships, communicate effectively, coach and mentor, facilitate change, develop teams, initiate action, strategic decision making, planning and organizing and a personal commitment to children’s development and protection.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in remote and challenging environments