The research assistants will involve in collecting qualitative and quantitative data from the target schools and partner institutions in Chagni and Injibara towns through participating in interview, focus group discussion, anecdotal case stories and gathering additional information from the students, teachers, and other education practitioners in target schools and institutions operating in the area. The research assistant will also be involved in data summarization, transcription and translation.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
The ideal applicant has:
• Must have proven track record in facilitating educational research, assessment and evaluation in and experience in Ethiopia, Awi Zone.
• Have strong background in primary school teacher training using active learning and inclusive education approaches.
• Knowledge and experience of the primary teacher training system in Awi Zone is an advantage;
• Must have at least a Bachelor of Arts degree in Education, Psychology, Pedagogy and English Language and related social sciences fields with a research experience and background
• Fluency in English language and proven experience in managing refugee research team is mandatory
• Fluency in Amharic, Awi and English language skills is are added advantage
• Experience in facilitating field level researches, tool development, interview and focus group management in refugee camps and IDPs
• Ability to remain positive, upbeat, and hopeful in challenging development settings while also being respectful of the plight of those suffering
• Ability to facilitate Resilience and Humanitarian action in English language to various audience
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
Once you’re ready to apply, click on ‘make an application’ below to complete the online form.
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. As a VSO volunteer you’ll live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. By sharing your unique skills and experience you’ll help generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities you work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us as a VSO volunteer and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.