Dec 21, 2020
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
UNDP, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
NGO Jobs in Ethiopia
United Nations Jobs in Ethiopia
The Project Officer (PO) will conduct all necessary coordination and management activities to successfully implement the project. The PO will work closely with the project manager. The Project Officer will be based in the Project Management Unit (PMU) (in MEFCC) in Addis Ababa and report to the Project Manger (PM).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage in the implementation of the project activities in line with the Project Implementation Plan and under the guidance provided by the Project Manger (PM);
- Liaise with MEFCC as the implementing agency and with all project site officers and coordinate project activities to ensure that the activities in each results area are implemented in accordance with the project objectives;
- Support in the monitoring of project activities against the established indicators detailed in the project Logical Framework;
- Provide required technical support to the site officers including at the site level;
- Support all regional site officers to ensure the timely submission of project reports;
- Conduct regular field visits to verify project activities relative to stated targets;
- Facilitate troubleshooting options with the relevant agencies to remove any bottlenecks that might arise during project implementation;
- Engage in the preparation of Annual Work Plans and budgets and ensure its alignment in the project objectives;
- Support the PM in the outsourcing of assignments by competitive tender, monitor the procurement of works, goods and services for the project and ensure execution according to the rules and guidelines in conformity with the project procurement procedures manual. Support the coordination and management of all procurement requirements (contracts and consultancies in the project, including reviewing consultancy reports);
- Provide guidance to contractors and consultants engaged by the project;
- Support the PM in Managing and monitoring the project risks initially identified, submit new risks to the PM for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks;
- Ensure that the financial management arrangements are in conformity with the UNDP regulations, and that all payment vouchers and payment orders are correctly authorized thereby ensuring that all expenditures are justified, within budget frames, and in line with project objectives;
- Ensure that audits are organized on time and resulting recommendations are acted upon;
- Keep the Project Manager informed about key project implementation matters;
- Ensure appropriate public relations, awareness creation and marketing of the project among stakeholder groups and the public at large;
- Engage in the preparation of periodic monitoring reports (technical and financial) of the project for submission to different agencies that are involved in the project implementation;
- oversee the preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports;
- quarterly project status reports;
- monitoring and evaluation reports;
- annual financial statements for audit purposes.
- Organise and facilitate stakeholder consultations and project review meetings as required and when requested by the PM;
- Involve in undertaking the closing out activities for the project which include final financial, procurement and technical reports, and the handing over of documents;
- Undertake any other activity that may be necessary for the effective management of the project.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Ability to communicate effectively complex, technical information;
- Good management, coordination and organization skills to facilitate production of quality outputs in a timely manner;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team to produce quality outputs in a timely manner.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University degree at least MSc or PhD in environmental sciences / climate change, environmental economics, Natural Resources Management or related field.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 4 years of experience with University degree and 2 years after MSc Degree in a similar or related position;
- Proven track record of technical and managerial experience in the implementation of large-scale, environmental conservation and food security multi-stakeholder projects, including financial management and oversight of projects;
- Extensive experience with project management, especially with project financed by international organizations;
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Excellent skills in project planning, implementation, and team building;
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently, as well as part of a team;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lead effectively, and demonstrated excellent conflict resolution skills;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of biodiversity and / or ecosystems issues, with special focus in forest / rangelands and payments for ecosystem services;
- Experience with and understanding of Ethiopia, including biodiversity protection issues and the CRGE will be an added advantage;
- Excellent working knowledge of English and track record in producing communications and reports in English;
- Experience in writing project success stories, lessons learned and best practices;
- Knowledge of the GEF and UNDP funded projects and their technical and operational requirements.
- Proficiency in English and Amharic. Knowledge of local languages will be an advantage.