Requisition ID: req11709
Job Title: RD Specialist
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refuguees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The IRC is seeking a highly motivated individual for Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) Specialist. Our ideal ERD Specialist will have humanitarian and development sector experience in livelihoods support, entrepreneurship development, emergency cash programming, vocational and business skill training, market system development, market and labor assessments, etc. In addition to these technical skills, we are searching for someone with skills in proposal and donor report writing, external representation, and monitoring & evaluation (M&E). Our ideal candidate will be highly organized, comfortable working across departments, and have a sense of humor and collaborative spirit. He or she will report to the ERD Coordinator and work closely with the Deputy Country Director of Programs (DDP).
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Grow the ERD portfolio by regularly assessing needs, designing short- and long-term interventions to meet those needs, and working with internal and external colleagues (clusters, donors, government, etc.) to identify and seize funding opportunities to launch new ERD programs.
- Design and draft narrative proposals, budget, log frames, work plans, and other funding application documents.
- Update the country office’s ERD strategy in collaboration with the ERD Coordinator.
- Ensure alignment of current and future ERD programming with the IRC’s global strategic plan and theories of change.
- Lead all start-up activities for new ERD projects, including recruitment, development SOPs, assessments, and project kick-off meetings, in collaboration with Field Coordinators and other internal colleagues.
- Develop and support ERD research projects
Grant Planning & Monitoring:
- Prepare high quality IRC and donor reports as per agreed-upon schedules (monthly, quarterly and/or annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements
- Coordinate with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures; including active participation in procurement, supply chain, grant and other meetings.
- Together with the ERD Coordinator and the Accountability and Learning department, develop and implement a full monitoring and evaluation framework for all ERD grants and activities as well as learning strategies
Human Resources Management
- Together with the ERD Coordinator, recruit new ERD staff as the team expands
- Provide technical direction to ERD staff in the field
-Provide advice and guidance to staff across other sectors (e.g., health, WASH, emergency response, etc.) on how to integrate cash programming into their projects
- Set specific goals and expectations and provide regular and constructive feedback to field staff
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions
- Ensure timely completion and submission of interim and annual employee performance reviews
Coordination & Representation
- Develop and maintain relationships with fellow agencies/NGOs, government, donors, and other external colleagues
- Actively advance IRC’s connections to private sector actors, seeking avenues for partnership, collaboration and coordination
- Regularly engage with the ERD Technical Advisors in New York to ensure quality programming
- Participate in IRC and external working groups around ERD to advance program strategies, disseminate research findings, and discuss implementation issues
- Support the sharing of information and learning across ERD-related programs based in Ethiopia and throughout the Horn and East Africa region
- Master’s degree in relevant field or bachelor’s degree with 3 years and 4 years of relevant experience respectively
- Experience in an international NGO, UN agency, or international organization in similar role/with similar responsibilities
- Experience with external representation and coordination with other NGOs, donors, government agencies, and senior officials
- Experience with project design, proposal writing, report writing, and strategy development
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation experience, specifically in the humanitarian and development context
- Experience with conducting market and labor assessments
- Experience supervising and coaching staff
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- International experience is a plus
- Ability to charismatically represent the IRC to donors, IRC HQ, and others
- Fluency in English, reading, writing, and verbal
- Ability to independently organize work and prioritize tasks
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team