Agriculture and Livelihood Specialist
ROLE PURPOSE: The Agriculture and Livelihood Specialist will provide technical support for the agriculture, livelihood, and resiliency building interventions under the Growth through Nutrition Activity.
Growth through Nutrition is a multi-sector nutrition project in Ethiopia (2016-2022) . Save the Children in partnership with its Government partners (MoH, MOA, MOE, SHE, MOWIE and their decentralized structures), International NGOs and local NGOs) drives the implementation of Growth through Nutrition using a powerful, multi-sector platform comprised of evidence-based nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive interventions.
The purpose of the USAID Growth through Nutrition activity is to improve the nutritional status of women and young children in the four productive regions with a focus on the first 1,000 days from pregnancy to a child’s second birthday—the critical window of opportunity for a child’s growth and development. The project works to ensure sustained access to diverse, safe, and quality foods, adoption of optimal nutrition, WASH, and agriculture behaviors, utilization of quality nutrition services, improved access to WASH products and services and strengthened multi-sector coordination and GOE capacity to implement effective nutrition and WASH programs. It also comprises of essential crosscutting elements: gender equality and women’s empowerment, a rigorous learning agenda, sustainable approaches, and convergence/overlay of multi-sector nutrition interventions (e.g. agriculture, livelihoods, education, health, humanitarian assistance) and WASH activities in the same geographic areas. The project is implemented in more than 110 woredas in Amhara, Oromia, Sidama, SNNP, and Tigray regions.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
The Specialist under the supervision of Agriculture and Livelihood Advisor will play a pivotal role in giving technical support throughout the implementation of technically sound and innovative approaches, in close collaboration with GOE and Feed the Future partners, to increase household production of nutritious and diverse foods; increase availability and affordability of nutritious foods in the markets; improve technologies for food storage, preservation, and processing; and increase assets and steady income for vulnerable households. He/she aligns the projects annual work plan with government priorities, updating project performance challenges and lessons learned in agriculture sectors, and coordinating and conducting joint field monitoring and review meetings with the government and partners using existing government and partner platforms. He/she will be responsible on follow-up of field-based support to facilitate diffusion of NSA technologies and identification and documentation of NSA practices implemented on the ground. He/she will ensure close coordination with other USAID and other donor funded nutrition projects and the delivery of joint work plans with partners. She/he is expected to play key role in integration of gender equality and women’s empowerment, a rigorous learning agenda, sustainable approaches, and convergence/overlay of multi-sector nutrition interventions (e.g. agriculture, livelihoods, education, health, humanitarian assistance) in the same geographic areas and strengthening of nutrition multi-sectoral coordination (coordination body and technical committee) at regional and woreda levels. She/he is responsible for routine reporting on agriculture and livelihoods activities, and writing technical briefs and reports as needed and engaging in operations research related to livelihoods and agriculture. She/he is also responsible in review of field office work plans, monitor implementation, ensuring quality and timely submission of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and other deliverables from the regional field offices.
Reports to: Agriculture and Livelihood Advisor
Staff Directly Reporting to this Post: N/A
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Technical support and staff capacity building
- Provide technical support to the various agriculture and livelihoods components of the program including increase household production of nutritious and diverse foods; increase availability and affordability of nutritious foods and agricultural inputs in the markets; improve technologies for food storage, preservation, and processing, and increase assets and steady income for vulnerable households.
- Provide technical support through coaching and mentoring to field office staff so as to enable them to provide technical support to targeted MVHHs, model farmers and other NSA entry points
- Provide technical support through coaching and mentoring to field office staff to enable them tracking diffusion of NSA interventions within the community at large
- Provide technical support to regional field office in generation, documentation and dissemination of project learnings within and outside the project
- Facilitate implementation integrated interventions among the projects different result areas and supporting the field office on systemic documentation
- Closely follow-up and provide technical support to GUG implementing woredas
- Closely follow-up and technical support to implementation of NSA activities to seqota declaration woredas
- Provide technical assistance to the FMOA’s efforts throughout its implementation of NSA interventions
- Facilitating and conducting joint field monitoring and review meetings with the government and partners using existing government and partner platforms.
- Build capacities of regional team to support re-establishment and strengthening of nutrition multi-sectoral coordination (coordination body and technical committee) at regional and woreda levels.
- Organize virtual meeting platform and update the current status of livelihood interventions with thematic managers and share experiences among each field office livelihood thematic managers
Planning and Reporting
- Ensuring quality and timely submission of monthly and annual livelihood reports and other deliverables from field offices related to IR1 and IR 5(MOA support).
- Ensure field offices delivers activities per year V implementation guideline, their work plan, monitor activities in the field, and ensure field offices reports are submitted and reviewed on time.
- Working with the MEAL team to ensure progress is being achieved towards livelihoods/agriculture targets in line with SCI quality benchmarks using data generated from DHIS 2
- Actively participate in livelihood/agriculture focused regular assessments and ensure key findings are integrated into programmatic approaches.
- Support regional livelihood thematic mangers and zonal coordinators in identification and reporting of success stories, lessons learning in nutrition programing.
- Regularly utilize and engage on project learning platforms including Yammer to share best practices and discuss relevant programmatic issues.
- Perform any other activities based on line manager’s assignment
Advocacy, Representation and Coordination
- Working with Advocacy/communication team to support the FMOA’s effort
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships with relevant stakeholders;
- Represent SCI in important forums or platforms, at national level, relevant to the Agicalture/ livelihoods a agenda
- Share Agriculture related information with relevant stakeholders such as local government departments, NGO’s and local authorities, as appropriate and advised by the line manager
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to SCI and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor;
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners, and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
MINIMUM QUALFICATION, EXPEREINCE, COMPETENCIES
- At least 1st degree in a related field of study such as plant science, animal science, food science and post-harvest Management
- Minimum of Eight years’ experience in developing and managing agriculture and livelihood programs in rural settings, preferably with nutrition sensitive agriculture component.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITY
- In-depth understanding of agriculture value chains (including livestock) as well as food storage, preservation, processing, safety and the role of agriculture sector in improving nutrition.
- Experience in dairy and/or poultry, fruit, legume, vegetable and tree crop production and processing, and/or food microbiology is a plus.
- Familiarity with GoE Nutrition Sensitive Agriculture approaches and priorities and experience working with GoE system preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, Amharic and additional local language is a plus
SC Values are: Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. To meet the value system, the post holder is expected to demonstrate the following Competencies on ongoing bases (this varies according to the position please consider the below as example).
Leading (align with Ambition, Integrity collaboration and creativity)
- Leading and Inspiring Others: Demonstrate leadership in all our work, role models our values and articulates a compiling vision to inspire to achieve our goals for children
- Developing Self and Others: Invest time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realize their full potential and to build the organization capability for the further.
Thinking (align with Ambition, creativity, Collaboration and Creativity)
- Innovating and Adapting: Develop and implement innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in an ever-changing uncertain work and global environment.
Engaging ( align with Collaboration, Creativity, Networking: Builds and use sustainable relationship to support the work of save the children
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.