Plan International Ethiopia Vacancy 2021
Job Title: Finance Officer
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
The position holder will be responsible to ensure all cash transactions necessary for effective office running including petty cash management, support cash related project deliverables and maintaining documentation as per the organization regulation.
Review liquidations of different work and travel advances (40%)
- Follow up and liquidate project and purchase advances regularlly
- Ensure timely liquidations of staff travel advance and
- Regularly ensure the availability of proper budget for payment with strict adherence to plan international financial regulation guidelines
- Ensure accuracy and dependability of the financial records frequently
- Ensure completeness of transactions frequently
- Give priority to activities that have impact on children life and emergencies
Prepare different payments (25%)
- Prepare Staff Termination payments for Country office and Field staffs of PIE
- Prepare fidelity Insurance coverage requesting letters and record refund of unutilized balance related to insurance premiums
- Prepare letters International travellers foreign currency permits
- Work on the different inquiries of field offices and give the required assistance on time
Working on different month end activities (20%)
- Prepare and post Accrual of Staff Endowments and Post-Employments (severance) payment
- Share & prepare part of monthly, quarterly and year end schedules/ Reports, related to the area of the
- Review from the system staff advances on monthly basis and inform to payroll holder for action
Intercompany charges clearance (15%)
- Raise sequential references for incoming/ outgoing intercompany charges
- Prepare 3rd party payment requests for different vendors
- Prepare payroll sheet for International staff salary and benefits, calculate income taxes associated with this payment
- Post International payroll and benefits in SAP to their respective appropriate projects (after review by supervisor/s
- Work on different inquiries of transaction among PIE and that of d/t National Offices & GH and resolve upcoming issues
- In addition to the above-listed activities, the Finance Officer will be doing any other duties assigned by the supervisor and the head of finance
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan Internationalâ€™s Code of Conduct (CoC).
- Ensure that Plan Internationalâ€™s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
- Ensure that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan Internationalâ€™s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
- Behave in line with our values and safeguarding practices, inside and outside work.
- Challenge own attitudes, unconscious bias and behavior and speaks up when they see wrong doing, especially by those who use their power over others to create fear or abuse.
- Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work and keeps their knowledge and skills up to date.
- Honest and efficient in use of resources, including own time.
- Take responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn.
- Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges and change, using own initiative to analyze issues and improve things.
- Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES
- Understand relevant sectoral context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan's purpose, values, and global strategy
- Manage legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety and Security
- Manage activities and resources including skills in strategic thinking, planning and organising, financial planning and monitoring, negotiation and programme and project management
- Manage people and information including skills in assessment and coaching, evidence-based management, communication skills, both speaking and writing, and digital working, including personal digital skills
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Economics with at least 3 years of working experience.
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of accounting theory, concepts and principles, financial accounting reporting, budgeting, and cost allocations
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent Knowledge of Computer applications like Excel, Word, Access and Power point.
- Prior experience in ERP applications (SAP) is a significant advantage.
- Knowledge in bank correspondence and mode of payments.
- Fluency in English language is essential
- Knowledge of Local language is desirable
Location: Addis Ababa
Type of Role: Officer
Closing Date: September 27, 2021
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.