Job Title: Senior Emergency Rapid Response Officer
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: SNNPR 1, Ethiopia
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The Senior Emergency Response Officer will be engaged in emergency assessment, emergency rapid planning and emergency response set up, monitoring and post intervention assessment, facilitating trainings and coordination and representation at emergency WASH cluster in the region.
- Represent organization in multiagency field assessments (seasonal, rapid) in the event of an emergency with Addis and field team as well as with partners.
- Coordinate Hawassa field office Emergency Response Team in surveys, assessment, response planning, in implementation and monitoring of emergency responses.
- Take deployment assignments integrate, coordinate and lead emergency operations assessment in new locations in intervention area.
- Lead emergency rapid response team in new intervention areas and implement quick responses for brief period as required
- Coordinate, and facilitate emergency response trainings and workshops for IRC and partner staff.
- Assist field offices in preparation, and design of emergency response proposals.
- Together with Emergency Response Manager, assist in IRC Cash Transfer Programming initiative and emergency preparedness micro planning.
- Assist in set up, establishment and implementation of beneficiary feedback mechanism.
- Assist Hawassa field office ERR technical team in preparation of water supply system designs, bill of quantities and spending plan and review of PRs
- Provide technical support to ensure appropriate institutional setup is in place and capacity of beneficiary community and local government is built to take over and balanced management water supply and capacity building works done by the International Rescue Committee Ethiopia program Hawassa Field Office.
- In collaboration with the EH officers and HP officer conduct detail assessment for proposed water and hygiene promotion activities under ERR projects of Hawassa field office.
Grant, Budget and procurement Monitoring and Management
- Support in tracking and reviewing of spending of IRC direct WASH interventions in the field is in line with original plan, and burn rate goes in line with the activity implementation progress and provide feedbacks to supervisor.
- Assist in development of PR and procurement plan for WASH, ES/NFI materials and services to be ordered from Emergency Response unit in Addis.
- Assist in tracking of emergency supplies, dispatch, distribution in different disaster affected including documentation
Reports and Proposals
- Assist in the review field reports from IRC field offices and sub grants including review of ERR interventions supervising data sheets.
- Assist in the development of proposals and budgets for future emergency responses in the field office;
- Participate in the developments of proposals from partners and by the IRC for direct interventions are as per the requirement and standard.
- Support in development of intervention proposals and assist the field team and program unit in drafting proposal and MoU for signing project agreement with relevant regional government Bureaus.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Participate and in organizing of joint monitoring of project activities in targeted interventions and sub granted projects.
- Assist in facilitation of IRC Ethiopia own, government and donor monitoring visits and project evaluations.
- Participate in post intervention assessments in coordination with CWI, EH, Health and program units as well as field team.
Representation, Coordination and Working Relationship
- Work closely with IRC Ethiopia Health, EH, CWI, Program and other units for increased integration and partnership;
- Regularly, represent at WASH cluster Coordination and other relevant emergency coordination forums with NGOs, UN agencies, government Bureaus in regions and share updates on this and emergency situations to supervisor.
- Participate in assessment, preparation of guidelines, other technical documents etc.
- Coordinate and Share regular IRC update to the WASH cluster including 4WS matrix.
- BSc Degree or MSc Degree in Environmental Health science or other related social science from a recognized University.
- 2 years of confirmed experience with the first degree holders, 1 years of validated experience plus post graduate degree.
- Supervisory skill is a plus
- Experience in coordinating emergency programs and experience of team mobilization teams and having good knowledge of project management.
- NGO experience is preferable on the area of WASH or public health in emergency.
- Validated management experience
- Good project management skills. Ability to plan, coordinate, and supervise implementation of WASH related emergency responses;
- Basic knowledge and understanding of current contexts and management emergencies in Ethiopia;
- Experience in coordinating emergency response team and implementing emergency response interventions and experience in deployment assignment in relevant emergency response in country as well as abroad is a plus.
- Ability to work under pressure, long working hours and with high workload;
- Self-motivated, Open, highly responsible, and punctual;
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required;
- Very good at computer skill- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and e-mail) and use of SPSS and related software
- Ability to organizing and facilitation of trainings.
- Skills and experience in staff management, budget management and building effective teams.
- Have good skill on coordination and integration with government actors and other partners.
- Have good report writing skill.
- Good command of both spoken and written English and local language of the area is plus.