International Rescue Committee Job Vacancy - EH Manager
International Rescue Committee (IRC) Ethiopia
Melkadida Refugee camp, Somali, Ethiopia
The Environmental Health/WASH Manager is responsible for ensuring smooth implementation and Management of WASH program in Dollo Ado, Melkedida and Kobe Refugee camps, Somali. The program focuses on safe water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
The position reports to Melkadida and Kobe Camp Manager operationally and to the Assistant Environmental Health (EH) Coordinator at the Country office technically.
· Oversee the implementation of the EH program at Melkadida and Kobe Refugee camp to ensure the program is implemented according to schedule and budgets, international standards, and that EH program objectives are met;
· Prepare designs and BOQs for Water and Sanitation infrastructures and supervise quality of construction works;
· Monitor the purchase and use of materials, equipment and supplies;
· Conduct regular monitoring and internal evaluations, and conduct annual KPC surveys;
· Contribute in the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with the EH Coordinator, and Grants team;
· Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
· Recruit EH staffs in conjunction with the Human Resources Department
· Maintain updated job descriptions, conduct interviews, and orient new staff to the IRC and the EH program
· Provide ongoing leadership to the project team and overseeing implementation and coordination of activity plans to ensure targets are met;
· Provide ongoing supervision, and technical support and guidance to EH staff, and ensure all EH staff adhere to best-practice principles in all aspects of program implementation
· In conjunction with camp managers, ensure Performance Management System documentation for all staff is in place and followed up regularly
· Build staff capacity in work plan development and reporting to ensure accurate monitoring and documentation of activities.
· Recommend and implement a capacity building/development plan for project staff based on documented capacity needs assessments exercise.
· Ensure EH staff understands and follows IRC and donor Policies and Procedures.
Grants Management & Reporting
· Manage and oversee all the Environmental Health grants; develop and maintain work, spending and procurement plans for all projects;
· Prepare finance utilization plan and review monthly financial BVA;
· Participate in Grants Opening, Mid-Term and Closing meetings;
· Prepare internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as required;
· Assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
Representation & Coordination
· Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders - including NGOs, UN agencies, Gov’t representatives and other IRC sectors to enhance cooperation and coordination;
· Ensure that information from coordination meetings is shared internally and with other sectors, as appropriate;
· Attend the WASH coordination meetings or represent the IRC in other relevant forums.
· Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor, DDP, or CD
· Minimum university degree in Hydraulic, Water Resource Engineering, civil, or other related field.
· Six years work experience in EH (WASH) for Degree, or three years for post graduate preferably in a humanitarian setting (refugee camps, rural development, or emergency response)
· Two years senior level management experience and supervising contractors and interaction with international staff and partners and donors.
· Proven management, project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
· Competent in Windows, MS office programs, email and database experience.
· Fluency in English (spoken and written)
· Ability to work under pressure in a potentially unstable security environment.
· Flexible, willing to travel and live temporarily in harsh environment
How to Apply
Please send your CV, application letter and copies of credentials to the following address: IRC – Addis Ababa Office P.O.BOX 107 Code 1110.
· Please include 3 references
· Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
· Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Permanent Address and present address (if different form permanent) and telephone number
· Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
Are any of your relatives employed by International Rescue committee (IRC)?
If answer is “yes”, give the following information:
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.