As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives. GIZ promotes reforms and change processes. In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 50 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on commission of the Ethiopian government and international donors.
The Sustainable Land Management Program (SLMP) is one of the Flagship programs of the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources of the Ethiopian government. It has been designed under the long-term (2009-2023) Ethiopia Strategic Investment Framework for Sustainable Land Management (ESIF) and the Agricultural Sector Policy and Investment Framework (PIF). Both are designed to strengthen domestic and foreign support as well as planning of investments that contribute to Ethiopia’s agricultural growth and development agenda for addressing issues related to the existing challenges related to land and water resources.
GIZ has been supporting the implementation of SLMP since 2008 in different forms in Amhara, Oromia and Tigray regions. Starting from 2015, GIZ SLM has increased its geographical coverage and included three additional regions, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella and Southern Nations Nationalities Peoples’ Region.
GIZ-SURED (Sustainable Use of Resources for Economic Development 2018–2020) will be focusing on the economic development and sustainable utilization of rehabilitated areas. Ethiopia is one of the Sub-Saharan African countries most seriously affected by environmental problems such as land degradation. In order to reduce these impacts, the Government of Ethiopia (GoE), in collaboration with its development partners, has been implementing the Sustainable Land Management Program (SLMP) since 2009. Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusam-menarbeit (GIZ) is currently supporting the Ethiopian Government’s efforts with the Sustainable Land Management Program (GIZ-SLM) operating in the country’s highland regions and with the Strengthening Drought Resilience Program (SDR) which focuses on pastoralist lowland areas. In early 2016, the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and the European Union (EU) agreed to launch a new support program to SLMP under the title “EU Support to the Sustainable Land Management Program” (EU Support to SLMP). The action is fully harmonized with the Government of Ethiopia’s SLMP results framework and builds on the ongoing SLMP and the aforementioned GIZ programs. Against this background, the program is currently recruiting Finance and Administration officer for Bale regional office.
Position: Finance and Administration Officer
Remuneration: As per the GIZ scale
Application deadline: February 07, 2018
Place of Work: Bale Eco Region
· The Finance and Administration officer will report to the regional coordinator and work closely with the GIZ-SLM Program offices to effectively and efficiently manage the day to day administrative and financial activities of the Program. He/she will be responsible for supervision of financial management and control the day to day management of the office; human resource management; proper procurement of materials and their storage; follow-up vehicles management and handling the regional office petty cash and bank accounts.
Finance and Accounting
· Ensure the smooth functioning of the accounting system in line with the GIZ standard procedures.
· Compile and submit complete financial documents, monthly accounts closing to federal office on schedule basis.
· Prepare local travel payments and internal transaction vouchers.
· Prepare income tax (if any) and withholding tax payments.
· Compile VAT documents, prepare claim summary for sending to GIZ Country Office and follow-up on the reimbursement.
· Follow-up on un-settled items and initiate settlement.
· Ensure that all payment vouchers, invoices, receipts are valid and approved before forwarding it for payment and booking.
· Ensure timely payment of utility bills and tax bills.
· Ensure that financial files are labelled and filed according to GIZ’s regulation.
· Provide required documents for an auditor whenever Internal Control is conducted.
· Make bank and cash account reconciliations monthly.
· Follow-up with the bank on transfers made to regions.
· Actively follow-up for timely settlement of Financial Agreements (FA), Local Subsidy agreements (LSC) and Consultancy agreements.
· Handle petty cash accounts.
· Make all cash and check payments of the Program in the respective region.
· Record financial transactions on Cash and Bank books on daily basis.
· Prepare monthly average fuel consumption reports for Program vehicles at regional level.
· Prepare invoice for private mileage and telephone costs at regional level.
· Comply with, and ensure that staff comply with, GIZ- SLM policies and procedures.
· Keep and update annual leave records of the regional staff.
· Help to put-up and organise the office premises according to instructions.
· Update inventory records according to GIZ rules and regulations and take physical count on regular basis.
· Report irregularities observed, if any, to the superior and SLM federal finance in major cases.
· Perform any other duties as required.
Qualifications, competences and experience
· Bachelor degree in Accounting or other related fields
· At least five years’ work experience in finance and administration, of which 2 years in related responsibility;
· Familiar with WINPACCS software is advantageous.
· Good English language skills, both written and oral and knowledge of regional language
· Excellent computer skills, esp. Microsoft Office;
· Working experience with the intended target groups (women and children, as well as community structures as intermediaries).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their application letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or to the following address:
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
P.O. Box 100009
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Fax: 011 554 0764
The name of the position for which the application is made should be clearly marked on the envelope or on the fax application with the position title and Duty Station.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Sustainable, innovative, effective
GIZ offers customised solutions to complex challenges. We are an experienced service provider and assist the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation. We offer demand-driven, tailor-made and effective services for sustainable development.
In September 2015, heads of state and government at the UN Summit in New York adopted the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development comprising the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Its 17 goals go far beyond the millennium development goals, which expired at the end of 2015, and they also apply equally to all countries.
GIZ staff work in thematically diverse projects and programmes in widely different countries throughout the world. What do they all have in common? A shared goal â€“ to develop sustainable and effective solutions. In GIZâ€™s short film, we accompany four employees through one day in their working lives and see what impact they have on the people in our partner countries.