Expert In Forestry Vacancy at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Agriculture Jobs in Ethiopia
NGO Jobs/Nonprofit/Social Services Jobs in Ethiopia
GIZ - Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
Expert In Forestry
Internal Vacancy Announcement #038
GIZ- Biodiversity and Forestry Programme(BFP)
As a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ - Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit – is dedicated to building a future worth living around the world.
We have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including rural and economic development, education and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible, effective and cost-effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. Of our 18,260 employees in some 120 countries, almost 70 per cent are national personnel working in the field.
As a public-benefit German federal enterprise, we are committed to meeting our clients’ high standards with regard to transparency and accountability. German and European values are central to our work. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party. European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and national governments benefit from our services, too.
In Ethiopia GIZ has been implementing development programmes on behalf of the German government for over 40 years jointly with our national partners. The focus of our work in the country is on vocational education, sustainable use of natural resources, land management and food security, biodiversity and forestry. Further programmes enhance the development of a sustainable textile sector and renewable energies.
GIZ Ethiopia is looking to recruit an expert in National Park advisory services to EWCA for the Biodiversity and Forest programme as specified below.
Position: Expert in forestry for Southern Nations Project support
Place of Work: Addis Ababa with frequent travel to Arbaminch and other
Remuneration: as per the GIZ scale
Application deadline: 24th of February 2018
A. Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent of this post has the main responsibility for the:
· Communication between the Programme and the partners in the projects in SN;
· Support the project partners in their tasks;
· Synergy between the different activities of the programme in forestry and conservation;
· Technical monitoring of the programm’s field activities;
In this framework, the employee in the following duties:
B. The Tasks
Communication between the Programme and the partners in Southern Nations
· To be aware of what is being done at the international level in relation to the forestry and conservation (especially at the level of the Horn of Africa);
· To make the link between national level strategies and their implementation in the field;
· To follow the activities of partners on national and regaional level in the region of Southern Naitons, and particularly for Nech Sar and Chebera Churchura;
· To follow concretely the activities in:
o Chebera Churchura:
o DHL reforestation project in the basin of Nech Sar national park
· To be linked with all kind of regional projects, strategies and make sure that the programme is coordinated with and well connected to them;
Support the partners in their tasks
· To be available for all kind of planning of field activities in the projects assigned;
· To make sure that all stakeholders are linked in strategic events of the programme;
· To play a role of “communication bridge” between all stakeholders of the project
· Actively discuss all kind of concepts and approaches within the Programme and make sure, that messages to the partners are always in line with the Programme.
Synergy between the different activities of the programme in foresty and conservation;
· To cooperate in the strategic development of the projects;
· To ensure the involvement of the partner staff in all kind of project activities;
· To make the link to the monitoring and to guarantee at all time, that monitoring information from the field is smart and verifiable;
· To keep the link between the field and the group dealing with communication, and make sure,that the communication has always “food for communication” about achievements in the projects assigned;
Technical monitoring of the projects field activities related to conservation
· To coordinate all kind of activities between HQ and the projects assigned;
· To be involved in all missions to the field and communicate with the beneficiaries of people travelling;
· To ensure the proper implementation of all kind of plans of the programme in the project regions assigned;
· To support the close monitoring of the activities in relation to the indicators of the assigned projects;
C. Other responsibilities
· Be actively involved in the undertakings of the programme team and ensure that the common decisions are materialized in due time
· Be actively involved in transversal tasks (gender, HIV AIDS, etc.)
· Assume all other assigned tasks of the superior
· Degree in forestry or very much related subject;
· Minimum of 5 years professional experience in the forest sector
· Have proven communication skills;
· Thorough experience in application of participatory approaches;
· Thorough experience in formation of community based institutions, alternative livelihoods, Climate Change, ABS;
· Good mastering of the English language and at least one Ethiopian languages
The incumbent has to prove his/her close relationship and knowledge of Awash
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their application letter along with their non-returnable recent CV to the following address:
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit,(GIZ) GmbH
P. O. Box 100009, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia;
Fax: 011 554 0764
The name of the position for which the application is made should be clearly marked on the envelope or on the fax applications. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Sustainable, innovative, effective
GIZ offers customised solutions to complex challenges. We are an experienced service provider and assist the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation. We offer demand-driven, tailor-made and effective services for sustainable development.
In September 2015, heads of state and government at the UN Summit in New York adopted the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development comprising the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Its 17 goals go far beyond the millennium development goals, which expired at the end of 2015, and they also apply equally to all countries.
GIZ staff work in thematically diverse projects and programmes in widely different countries throughout the world. What do they all have in common? A shared goal â€“ to develop sustainable and effective solutions. In GIZâ€™s short film, we accompany four employees through one day in their working lives and see what impact they have on the people in our partner countries.