Education/Teaching Jobs in Ethiopia
NGO Jobs/Nonprofit/Social Services Jobs in Ethiopia
The British Council
To ensure that any test administered by the British Council runs smoothly on the test day/s and that all assigned test day duties and standards are met.
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Monday 19 March 2018
The British Council provides access to English Language and other UK qualifications through its Examinations Services. The UK qualifications and assessments that we provide have the power to change people’s lives, enabling them to access life, study or work opportunities overseas or in their own countries. Qualifications and examinations are one of the most powerful drivers of improvements in teaching, learning and professional practice.
The British Council Examinations Services administers a wide range of UK exams on behalf of UK based Exam Boards and awarding bodies. These include English proficiency exams such as IELTS, Cambridge English and Aptis, school exams such as IGCSE, O and A levels for Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) and Edexcel International, a range of professional and university qualifications such as ACCA (accounting).
In Ethiopia, we run exams in Addis Ababa and Mekelle
As an Invigilator, you will be part of a wider team of exams venue staff expected to support the delivery of a variety of tests in various locations. You will be required to work very closely with British Council Examinations Services staff, other venue staff and venue service providers to ensure the test days run smoothly.
Main Accountabilities: You will be accountable for maintaining the integrity and reputation of the British Council and the various examination boards by ensuring that tests are delivered to prescribed standards for customer service, security and administration. You will also be accountable for promoting a positive image of the British Council by providing a high standard of customer care on the test day.
▪ Report promptly to test venue at agreed time. In case of any delays or if unable to get to the test venue, inform the appropriate test day or British Council Examinations Services staff in a timely manner.
▪ Follow all relevant standards & procedures, based on training and reference materials provided by the British Council Examinations Services and the relevant Exam Boards.
▪ Be familiar with the emergency procedures for the test day venue.
▪ Invigilate examinations to the standard required by the British Council Examinations Service and the relevant Exams Boards.
▪ Actively monitor candidates during tests to make sure that there is no violation of test conditions.
▪ Support the supervisor to ensure that candidates have a positive and consistent test day experience and a positive image of the British Council.
▪ Ensure all material is accounted for and handed over securely to the supervisor.
▪ Complete and maintain accurate records of exam assignments. Complete all reports, logs and claims accurately as required by British Council Examinations Services.
▪ Follow all relevant guidelines and policies in the areas of: Data Protection, Child Protection, Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities and Diversity, and Anti-Fraud.
▪ Report any incidents, emergencies or breaches of security to the appropriate test day supervisor.
▪ Work with the test day supervisor to promote and ensure the well being of candidates at all time. In case of emergencies, follow correct procedures.
▪ Additional duties in line with the role may be required.
▪ Enable good customer flow by giving candidates clear direction and answering their enquiries.
▪ Ensure that candidates follow the agreed exam procedures regarding the location and security of their belongings.
▪ Conduct candidate entry, exit, identity checks and Test Day Photography procedures according to exam requirements.
▪ Ensure special arrangements are provided as required
Training and development:
▪ Attend all briefing and training sessions as requested by the British Council Examinations Services Centre.
▪ Complete all mandatory training modules: Data Protection, Child Protection, Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities and Diversity, Anti-Fraud, Identity Checks as required.
Other important features or requirements of the job:
▪ Some invigilators may be required to travel, including overnight stays. The majority will not have this requirement. During the recruitment process you will be asked to indicate your willingness to travel.
▪ You are required to be very vigilant when observing candidates; to watch and hear what is going on in the exams room.
▪ Although there may not be a prescribed uniform for your role, while carrying out your duties, you must always be dressed in line with the cultural expectations of the country you are working in and your position in accordance with your role as representing the British Council. However, it is recommended that you wear soft comfortable shoes. Noisy shoes and distracting jewellery are not permitted.
▪ Exams , Teaching centre and Customer service team
▪ Exam Candidates
▪ Venue partners
How to apply
To be considered for this position, it is essential that you have a university/undergraduate degree with a good command of English Language. You must also have skills to work as a part of a team, excellence in customer handling and high level of interpersonal communication, including demonstration of accountability, trust, commitment, strong work ethics and discipline.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Only applications on the standard form will be accepted. All completed application forms must be submitted to the address below or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org