Position: Auditor - Internal Audit
Term of Employment: One year
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Required Number: 1
Salary & Benefit: Competitive
Application Deadline: January 21, 2019
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoALR), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Auditor participates in preparing plan and the budget of the internal audit, risks and compliance functions of Agency in order to ensure a robust governance and internal control system. Performs financial and performance auditing activities in all operations, projects and other activities of the ATA’s mandate areas. The Auditor works closely with internal teams with the objective of checking the implementation of internal control systems and creating awareness on risk areas and the importance of compliance to policies and procedures. With the guidance of the Director and Manager, the incumbent conducts studies on risks and compliance issues provides recommendations on how to mitigate risks and strengthen the internal control systems of the ATA. Asses and evaluates books of accounts, purchase transactions and awards, asset registrations and inventories are properly carried out based on policies and procedures of the Agency and/or the government. Participates in detecting and inspecting misconducts and mis-appropriations of assets and reports findings with recommendations as deemed necessary.
- Participate in preparing the audit, risk and compliance plan and budget preparations and performance evaluation of the unit
- With the guidance of the immediate supervisor, perform and control the full audit cycle including the risk management and internal control over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations
- Prepare training material and coordinate continuous knowledge development programs regarding regulations, best practices, tools, techniques and performance standards
- Participate in preparing detail audit plans based on the overall audit plan of the Agency, define activities to be audited, set clear objectives to be achieved; key resources required, period of engagements and related communication channels to provide management with adequate, reliable and timely information
- Based on the guidance of the immediate supervisor, perform special internal audit inspections and investigations as instructed by the immediate supervisor as required
- Asses and evaluates books of accounts, purchase transactions and awards, asset registrations and inventories are properly carried out based on policies and procedures of the Agency and check whether they comply to government policies and/donors’ agreements
- Conduct studies on risks, compliance and internal control systems of the Agency and make appropriate recommendations
- Conduct periodic audit, risks and compliance of the ATA’s operations and prepare reports with recommendations.
- Participate in periodic evaluations of internal audit meetings based on audit findings
- Assess whether the accounting system and other financial policies and procedures adopted by the ATA are maintained as per the generally acceptable principles of donor and Government cash basis of accounting system
- Evaluate the performance of the ATA in terms of its financial operations, budget and related financial management and submit recommendations
- Participates in assessing the efficiency and effectiveness of the ATA’s procurement functions
- Audit funds granted to specific Projects have been used for their intended purposes
- Analyze and report on the effectiveness and efficiency of the internal control environment and promote compliance to Agency’s policies
- Perform other functions assigned by the immediate supervisor
- Job Requirements:
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Accounting, Business or Finance or other related field with 6 years of experience, and Master’s degree with 4 years of experience
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and risk-based auditing with a focus on financial risk and control requirements
- Be adaptable and able to meet deadlines as well as work with different types of staff
- Strong skills in negotiating, relationship building, problem solving and timely escalation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail oriented and able to quickly grasp the big picture
- Able to learn quickly and work towards the Vision & Strategy of the organization
- Motivated to contribute to high performing teams
- Work independently as well as act as a team player with interest to collaborate and support colleagues across the organization
- Results Oriented – able to meet deadlines on assignments as well as work with all categories of staff
- Fluency in English and Amharic is essential
- How To Apply:
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages), and (iii) a completed ATA Application Form at http://apply.ata.gov.et. Or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
NB. Only short listed candidates will be contacted